Gluten Free Spice Buns
Dairy Free | Gluten Free | Vegetarian
- Servings: 8 buns
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp alllspice
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 orange
- 1 Packet of Yeast (2 tsp)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1/4 cup psyllium Husk
- 1 tsp xanthan Gum
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup tapicoa starch
- 2 cups brown rice flour
1.Prep: Boil kettle of water in preparation. When boiled, pour half the kettle water into a large mixing bowl and put warming drawer (turned off) or oven (if you don't have a warming drawer) in preparation for buns to rise.
Grate the outside of one orange and put aside the zest
2. Yeast : In a bowl, add packet of yeast, 1 tsp white sugar and ½ cup of warm water. (Warm tap water is best)
3. Currants: In a bowl, put currents and cover with kettle water to cover and leave to plump up.
4. Dough: Add ¼ cup psyllium husk, 1 tsp xanthan gum, 3 eggs, 1 cup of hot water from the kettle and mix until combined. Set aside and it will thicken into a goo in about 5-7 minutes.
5. Dry Ingredients: In a bowl combine 1 cup tapioca starch, 2 cups of brown rice flour, ½ tsp salt, 1/3 cup of white sugar, ¼ tsp nutmeg, ¼ tsp allspice, 1 ½ tsp cinnamon, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda
6. Add yeast, orange and dough to dry ingredients. Once combined, drain and fold in the currants
7. Put the dough on a floured surface and flour your hands. make into a rectangular shape and cut into 8 pieces. Roll into balls and place evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
8. Place in the oven or warming drawer (turned off) with bowl of kettle water. Leave buns for about 30 minutes to rise. The should double in size. While buns are rising lets make the glaze and dough for crosses.
9. Juice the orange and add 3 tbsp of white sugar. Place in microwave for 1 minute to heat.
10. When buns have risen, take out of oven/warming drawer and now preheat to 400 degrees.
11. Using a pastry brush or spoon, lightly coat the buns with the orange juice.
12. Cook at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes until lightly browned.